Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Shopping the Perimeter


When I go grocery shopping I rarely go down the aisles I shop the perimeter of the store.  That's where all the real food is located.  Almost everything else in the store is processed, look at the  list of ingredients you don't want lists of ingredients when selecting food.  Some foods do come in packages for ease of transport, like nuts, I love nuts, I buy them raw from Trader Joe's.


Oatmeal is another real food that comes in a package choose the steel cut oats over the rolled oats because you'll get more of the real food with steel cut.  Steel cut oats are cut into small pieces but all the good stuff remains, the stuff that lowers cholesterol.  Steel cut oatmeal takes longer to cook but it is so worth it.  When I add the steel cut oats to the water I also add raisins.  The raisins plump up nicely in the water, add a tiny bit of grade b maple syurp and you will have a real food treat.

Here is my recipe for homemade granola made with steel cut oats.

2 cups of steel cut oats soaked in water for a couple of hours
1/2 fresh coconut cut into small pieces
1 cup of raw nuts chopped
1/2 cup goji berries
1/2 cup raisins
2 Tbs grade B maple syurp

dehydrate in an Excalibur dehydrator you will find dozens of uses for it.  I bought my Excalibur on Amazon and I use it all the time to preserve real food.

No comments:

Post a Comment